Sunday, May 18, 2008

Becoming a Wine Connoisseur


In my first week in Rome, I have kept my eyes open to events related to wine. So far, I have seen a number of wine bars and even a huge wine forum. I am currently looking more into the event to check out if I can go. If you want to know more about it check out the website, http://www.vinoforum.it/ita/default.asp. And if your Italian skills aren't proficient enough to browse through the information, check out a website translator I found at http://www.freetranslation.com/.

I have also started doing some own wine tasting of my own. As a college student, I have had my fair share of Franzia thanks to its cheap price. But here in Rome the story is much different. Wine is sold in the supermarket which makes one stop shopping even more convenient. But more importantly, wine is very inexpensive. For around 3 euros, I could get 1.5 liters of Fanta or 1.5 liters of wine. While, I am sure this is not the best wine Rome has to offer, it is still a definite step up from Franzia.

So far I have tried a red wine and a pink wine. Currently, I do not enjoy dry wines and have stayed away from white. But as this is a learning experience, I will try one when I buy my next bottle.

The wine bottles are very interesting here and contain different information than at home. For instance, the percent alcohol by volume is listed, as well as the best temperature at which to serve the wine, and which foods to serve with each wine. This information will be very helpful to in learning more about each of the wines I try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I better get some tips when you get back home lol